Saturday 14 July 2012

pied a terre: not worth it (2/5)

I went to Pied a Terre with my family to celebrate my graduation, and offered to foot the bill. Damn, do I regret it.

I suppose my expectations were too high, since Le Restaurant was the last fine dining experience I had and it was completely out of Pied a Terre's league.

The four of us went for the 9-course tasting menu, priced at £99 per head not including the 12.5% service charge.

Now, when I fork out £99 for a dinner, I'm not paying for something good, I'm paying for something special. Pied a Terre fails miserably at this.

The menu was not particularly imaginative nor well executed, in taste or in presentation. The only courses I really liked was the meat, a tender and fabulously pink saddle of lamb with crispy skin, and the cold scallops starter went really well with the cucumber, yogurt and lemon garnishes. 

The foie gras was overwhelmingly salty, the fish was not worthy of a second glance nor was the opening soup. The desserts in particular were a letdown. A mango mousse that tasted like it came out of an ice cream box? No, no. The 'Congratulations' message on my second dessert was a very sweet touch, too bad it wasn't on the dessert I ordered. I cannot believe that our waiter did not take my order correctly. But by the last course I was thoroughly despaired from the experience and didn't bother sending the very average creme brulee back.

Which brings me to the staff. There were a few outstanding waiters, and quite a few disappointing ones. That was one of the problems I had with the service- usually at these places you have one or two designated waiters which makes it a personal experience, but not at Pied a Terre. This one junior waiter was particularly careless, flinging cutlery around and whisking away our plates before we even put down our forks.

For a Michelin-star establishment, there were too many faults, too many disappointments. Note that it has been downgraded from 2 stars in 2011 to one in 2012. I advise avoidance, and I'll be petitioning the elevation of Le Restaurant to at least two Michelin stars.










 My mother tried the Anjou pigeon, she enjoyed it but I didn't.

Cracker tree for the cheese.




No comments:

Post a Comment